Apertis is a Debian derivative distribution geared towards the creation of product-specific images for ARM (both the 32bit ARMv7 and 64-bit ARMv8 versions using the hardfloat ABI) and Intel x86-64 (64-bit) systems.
Apertis v2021pre is the preview release of the Apertis v2021 stable release flow that will lead to the LTS Apertis v2021.0 release in March 2021.
This Apertis release is built on top of Debian Buster with several customisations and the Linux kernel 5.10.x LTS series (since v2021pre.1).
Test results for the v2021pre release are available in the following test reports:
- 2019 Q4: v2021dev0
- 2020 Q1: v2021dev1
- 2020 Q2: v2021dev2
- 2020 Q3: v2021dev3
- 2020 Q4: v2021pre
- 2021 Q1: v2021.0
- 2021 Q2: v2021.1
- 2021 Q3: v2021.2
- 2021 Q4: v2021.3
- 2022 Q1: v2021.4
- 2022 Q2: v2021.5
- 2022 Q3: v2021.6
- 2022 Q4: v2021.7
|Apertis v2021 images|
|Intel 64-bit||minimal||target||base SDK||SDK|
|ARM 32-bit (U-Boot)||minimal||target|
|ARM 64-bit (U-Boot)||minimal|
|ARM 64-bit (Raspberry Pi)||minimal||target|
Apertis v2021pre repositories
deb https://repositories.apertis.org/apertis/ v2021pre target development sdk hmi
Technology preview: Maynard and the AGL compositor
The purpose of the
agl-compositor project is to be a reference implementation
that can be easily customized to fit the wildly different constraints of the
products that use Apertis. Different, product-specific shells can then be
implemented with minimal efforts by replacing the Maynard example shell.
Resilient upgrades with atomic rollback on Renesas R-Car
With the newer U-Boot landed in v2021dev3 it has been now possible to enable the support for the OSTree-based update manager on the Renesas R-Car boards, and testing it is now part of the regular runs.
Signed metadata verification for offline updates
The work to protect OSTree against malicious static bundle superblocks as used for offline updates has been landed upstream and the implementation in Apertis has now been aligned to the latest revision.
The offline update files with signed metadata section in the “System updates and rollback” document provides more detail about this change.
Long term reproducibility of image builds
The plan defined in the long term reproducibility document is now fully implemented and it’s now easy to reproduce the build environment used to build a specific set of images in order to build a replica as close as possible to the original build, which is of fundamental importance for long term support.
All the main recipes have now been converted to the new approach and can use
metadata file to consistently produce replicas of the original builds,
leveraging the newly introduced
APT repository point-in-time snapshots.
Better downstream customizability of GitLab pipelines
The image recipes,
NFS root recipes,
and LXC container recipes
can now be customized by downstream distributors and product teams much more easily,
after a substantial refactoring that moved the relevant parameters in the
Build and integration
Since the switch to GitLab all the pipelines producing the nightly artifacts ended up with different build ids, which made matching them in high-level, coherent reports challenging.
Documentation and designs
Concept for license-compliant TLS stack
As defined in the Open Source license expectations document, Apertis delivers a core subset of package meant to be shipped on products which is free from GPL-3 obligations.
To reach this goal some packages that at some point switched to the (L)GPL-3 terms had to be frozen, which far from optimal. In particular, the TLS stack based on GnuTLS is affected via the dependency on the GNU GMP library.
The License-compliant TLS stack for Apertis targets document analyses the current challenges and the available options, defining a plan forward to deliver an updated TLS stack for all applications in compliance with the Apertis license expectations.
Contribution process and templates
The Contributions document has been significantly reworked to describe a well defined path to land high level contributions into Apertis.
To ease the process, two templates can guide contributors in providing the commonly requested information:
- the high level contribution template to start the process, to ensure goals and expectations are aligned
- the concept design document template to later define the technical details of the work to be done
As part of that, a new section describes the role of maintainers to make the long term expectations explicit in terms of support and development.
Infrastructure monitoring and testing
The infrastructure monitoring and testing document describes the goals that drive the infrastructure maintenance and the approaches taken to accomplish them.
New QA report homepage
The homepage for the Apertis QA reports has seen a massive overhaul and provides much more information while being faster than in the past.
This allows developer to check the health of the tests on the current images with a single glance, in most cases without having to open the detailed report pages.
Improvements to the
dput plugin for the OBS client
One of the workhorses in the Apertis CI/CD machinery is the
dput plugin for
osc, the command-line Open Build Service client. During this cycle it has
seen some of the attention it deserve, with plenty of cleanups and fixes.
Improved image download page
The new download page provides a streamlined way for users to find the right download matching their needs, addressing some challenges with the raw indexing of all the release artifacts.
Deprecations and ABI/API breaks
Loop device issues with kernel 5.9 (fixed in v2021pre.1)
Due to the lateness of the 5.10 LTS release, the v2021pre.0 release shipped version 5.9 of the Linux kernel, which has shown a few regressions with loop devices impacting the ability to use offline bundles for the Apertis update manager.
Once the 5.10 release has been published it has been made available in the v2021pre repositories and included in the v2021pre.1 release, fixing the identified regressions.
Mildenhall HMI flickering
Enabling hardware acceleration for the graphical stack on the i.MX6 images is now causing visual glitches in the Mildenhall HMI while the AGL compositor is not affected.
As a workaround it is possible to disable hardware acceleration when using the Mildenhall compositor:
sudo sed -i -e 's|Exec=/usr/bin/mildenhall|Exec=/usr/bin/env GBM_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 /usr/bin/mildenhall|' /etc/xdg/user-session-launcher/session.launcher
OSTree offline update bundle format change
libostree 2020.7 version supports two different formats for
static delta bundles, as used for offline updates: the old one without signed
metadata and a new one which also signs the superblock metadata to ensure it
can be trusted.
Support for signed metadata was first introduced in Apertis with the v2021dev2 release and was later upstreamed.
However, during the upstreaming process the format has changed and Apertis now aligns to the upstream format.
This means that signed bundles created with the OSTree version from the v2021 development releases won’t be accepted by this release.
During this release cycle we have continued to mark obsolete or problematic APIs with the ABI break tag as a way to clear technical debt in future.
Image builds now happen on GitLab-CI
OSTree signing API changes
During the upstreaming process the new OSTree signing API that Apertis shipped in the previous cycle as a preview some API changes have been requested.
The version of OSTree in v2021 now reflects the upstream API and users of the new signing API will need to be adjusted.
Apertis Docker images
The Apertis Docker images provide a unified and easily reproducible build environment for developers and services.
As of today, this includes the
Apertis infrastructure tools
The Apertis v2021 infrastructure
provides packages for the required versions of
ostree for Debian Buster:
deb https://repositories.apertis.org/infrastructure-v2021/ buster infrastructure
Image daily builds, as well as release builds can be found at https://images.apertis.org/
Image build tools can be found in the Apertis tools repositories.
The Image build infrastructure document provides an overview of the image building process and the involved services.
- T7506 non-working upgrade with encrypted bundle with “(kernel 5.9)”
- T7555 ImportError: No module named gobject when executing the connman-usb-tethering test
- T7557 Mildenhall “flickering” in case if HW EGL support is enabled
- T7581 aum-offline-upgrade-signed: test failed
- T2853 GStreamer playbin prioritises imxeglvivsink over clutterautovideosink
- T2896 Crash when initialising egl on ARM target
- T2930 Develop test case for out of screen events in Wayland images
- T3121 Test apps are failing in Liblightwood with the use of GTest
- T3210 Fix Tracker testcase to not download media files from random HTTP user folders
- T3217 VirtualBox display freezes when creating multiple notifications at once and interacting (hover and click) with them
- T3233 Ribchester: deadlock when calling RemoveApp() right after RollBack()
- T3321 libgles2-vivante-dev is not installable
- T3920 arm-linux-gnueabihf-pkg-config does not work with sysroots installed by
- T3970 Ensure that the arch:all packages in the archive match the arch-specific versions
- T4092 Containers fail to load on Gen4 host
- T4293 Preseed action is needed for Debos
- T4307 ribchester-core causes apparmor denies on non-btrfs minimal image
- T4422 do-branching fails at a late stage cloning OBS binary repos
- T4444 A 2-3 second lag between the speakers is observed when a hfp connection is made over bluetooth
- T4568 Ribchester mount unit depends on Btrfs
- T4660 Eclipse Build is not working for HelloWorld App
- T4693 Not able to create namespace for AppArmor container on the internal mx6qsabrelite images with proprietary kernel
- T5468 build-snapshot: allow to build packages without
- T5487 Wi-Fi search button is missing in wifi application
kbdpackage has broken/problematic dependencies
- T5747 The /boot mountpoint is not empty
- T5748 System users are shipped in /usr/etc/passwd instead of /lib/passwd
- T5837 apparmor-utils: apparmor-utils test failed
- T5852 Terminal comes up inside the Launcher
- T5861 dbus-installed-tests: trying to overwrite mktemp.1.gz
- T5863 Songs/Videos don’t play on i.MX6 with Frampton on internal images
- T5896 sdk-dbus-tools-bustle testcase is failing
- T5897 apparmor-ofono test fails
- T5900 evolution-sync-bluetooth test fails
- T5901 eclipse-plugins-apertis-management package is missing
- T5906 Video does not stream in WebKit on the i.MX6 internal images
- T5931 connman-usb-tethering test fails
- T5935 libfolks-ofono25 package not found
- T5993 rhosydd: 8_rhosydd test failed
- T6001 eclipse-plugins-remote-debugging test fails
- T6008 The pacrunner package used for proxy autoconfiguration is not available
- T6012 webkit2gtk-event-handling-redesign test fails on the amd64 ostree images
- T6024 folks-inspect: command not found
- T6052 Multimedia playback is broken on the internal i.MX6 images (internal 3.14 ADIT kernel issue)
- T6077 youtube Videos are not playing on upstream webkit2GTK
- T6078 Page scroll is lagging in Minibrowser on upstream webkit2GTK
- T6111 traprain: 7_traprain test failed
- T6231 gitlab-to-obs: Handle packages changing component across releases
- T6243 AppArmor ubercache support is no longer enabled after 18.12
- T6277 ldconfig: Warning comes up when we do an apt-get upgrade on the i.MX6
- T6291 Generated lavaphabbridge error report email provides wrong link for full report link
- T6292 gettext-i18n: test failed
- T6296 gupnp-services: 11_gupnp-services test failed
- T6349 sdk-code-analysis-tools-splint: 3_sdk-code-analysis-tools-splint test failed
- T6366 sdk-cross-compilation: 10_sdk-cross-compilation test failed
- T6369 apparmor-gstreamer1-0: test failed
- T6444 aum-update-rollback-tests/arm64,amd64: Automatic power cut test should be reworked to reduce the speed of delta read
- T6446 aum-update-rollback-tests/amd64: DNS not available in LAVA tests after reboot
- T6614 aum-update-rollback-tests/armhf: Rollback situation is not reproduced on public armhf target and internal images
- T6620 Repeatedly plugging and unplugging a USB flash drive on i.MX6 (Sabrelite) results in USB failure
- T6662 SDK: command-not-found package is broken
- T6669 Stop building cross compilers tools and libraries for not supported platforms
- T6670 Remove or move git-mediawiki package from the development repo
- T6680 Drop mkdocs package from development repository
- T6681 Fix btrfs packages in the development repository
- T6682 Drop or fix installation for git-all package in development repository
- T6683 Drop or fix installation for gccbrig package in development repository
- T6684 Move dh-python package from target to development repository
- T6685 Fix gstreamer1.0-gl package in target repository
- T6686 Move kernel-wedge package from target to development repository
- T6687 Move kdump-tools package from target to development repository
- T6688 Fix libblockdev-btrfs2 in target repository
- T6689 Move skales package from target to development repository
- T6690 Fix mesa-vdpau-drivers package in target repository
- T6691 Fix mesa-va-drivers package in target repository
- T6692 Move makedumpfile package from target to development repository
- T6693 Move lsb-release package from target to development repository
- T6694 Fix firmware-linux package in target
- T6695 Remove remaining hotdoc dbgsym package from development repository
- T6727 FTBFS: Apertis v2020pre package build failures
- T6768 Fix the kernel command line generation in OSTRee for FIT image
- T6773 HAB testing: the unsigned image may pass validation in several circumstances
- T6783 Kernel trace on armhf board with attached screen
- T6795 SabreLite failing to boot due to failing “to start udev Coldplug all Devices”
- T6806 HAB on SabreLite in open state accepts any signed kernel regardless of the signing key
- T6885 gitlab-rulez fails to set location of the gitlab-ci.yaml on first run
- T6887 ARM64 target does not reboot automatically
- T6891 apparmor-pulseaudio: 13_apparmor-pulseaudio test failed
- T6903 U-Boot boot counter is used for AMD64 & ARM64
- T6961 audio-backhandling feature fails
- T7000 DNS resolution does not work in Debos on some setups
- T7012 Apparmor Denied session logs keep popping up on the terminal while executing tests
- T7016 network proxy for browser application is not resolving on mildenhall-compositor
- T7056 FAILED: Error running command: [‘ssh-copy-id’, ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ errors are shown when running the sdk-persistent testcases
- T7127 apparmor-functional-demo: test failed
- T7128 apparmor-session-lockdown-no-deny
- T7129 apparmor-tumbler: test failed
- T7207 PBAP Phonebook Access PSE profile fails from time to time
- T7223 didcot: test failed
- T7237 sdk-persistent-disk-sysroot test fails
- T7238 sdk persistent memory tests fail
- T7247 connman-new-supplicant: test failed
- T7308 sdk-vb-fullscreen testcase link needs to be changed for v2019
- T7333 apparmor-geoclue: test failed
- T7340 newport: test failed
- T7503 Failed to unmount /usr on ostree-based images: Device or resource busy log is seen on rebooting
- T7511 Syntax highlight on the website is producing undesirable results
- T7512 debos sometimes fails to mount things
- T7514 Remote outputs and local output, buffer size combined in Maynard/GTK
- T7515 Maynard/GTK only uses SHM type of buffers
- T7530 ADE can’t download amd64 sysroot.
- T7531 connman-usb-tethering testcase fails in apertis v2020 and v2019 images
- T7551 Maynard shows canterbury applications that should’t be displayed
- T7559 grilo: test failed
- T7567 hawkBit upload jobs are failing
- T7569 add-repo: test failed
- T1809 Upstream: linux-tools-generic should depend on lsb-release
- T1924 telepathy-ring: Review and fix SMS test
- T1964 Mildenhall compositor crops windows
- T2142 Power button appers to be disabled on target
- T2226 Network search pop-up isn’t coming up in wi-fi settings
- T2367 Videos are hidden when Eye is launched
- T2483 Video doesn’t play when toggling from full screen to detail view
- T2498 Simulator screen is not in center but left aligned
- T2704 The video player window is split into 2 frames in default view
- T3161 If 2 drawers are activated, the most recent one hides behind the older one, instead of coming on top of older one.
- T3537 cgroups-resource-control: test network-cgroup-prio-class failed
- T3759 Status bar is not getting updated with the current song/video being played
- T4166 On multiple re-entries from settings to eye the compositor hangs
- T4296 Segmentation fault is observed on closing the mildenhall-compositor
- T4490 webkit2gtk-drag-and-drop doesn’t work with touch
- T6065 apt-get dist-upgrade fails on SDK
- T7204 Bluez pairing operation is failing from time to time
- T7225 webkit2gtk-ac-3d-rendering test fails
- T7406 RNG-Hardware-error error logs are seen on booting up the i.MX6 target
- T789 Remove unnecessary folks package dependencies for automated tests
- T1556 No connectivity Popup is not seen when the internet is disconnected.
- T1960 remove INSTALL, aclocal.m4 files from langtoft
- T2028 Documentation is not available from the main folder
- T2299 Clutter_text_set_text API redraws entire clutterstage
- T2317 libgrassmoor: executes tracker-control binary
- T2318 mildenhall-settings: does not generate localization files from source
- T2475 Theme ,any F node which is a child of an E node is not working for Apertis widgets.
- T2781 Horizontal scroll is not shown on GtkClutterLauncher
- T2785 The background HMI is blank on clicking the button for Power OFF
- T2788 Share links to facebook, twitter are nbt working in browser (GtkClutterLauncher)
- T2790 Background video is not played in some website with GtkClutterLauncher
- T2833 Interaction with PulseAudio not allowed by its AppArmor profile
- T2858 shapwick reads /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/passwd, and writes /var/root/.cache/dconf/
- T2889 Cannot open/view pdf documents in browser (GtkClutterLauncher)
- T2890 Zoom in feature does not work on google maps
- T2917 Images for the video links are not shown in news.google.com on GtkClutterLauncher
- T2995 Focus in launcher rollers broken because of copy/paste errors
- T3008 beep audio decoder gives errors continously
- T3171 Unusable header in Traprain section in Devhelp
- T3174 Clang package fails to install appropriate egg-info needed by hotdoc
- T3219 Canterbury messes up kerning when .desktop uses unicode chars
- T3237 make check fails on libbredon package for wayland warnings
- T3280 Cannot open links within website like yahoo.com
- T3319 mx6qsabrelite: linking issue with libgstimxeglvivsink.so and libgstimxvpu.so gstreamer plugins
- T3332 Compositor seems to hide the bottom menu of a webpage
- T3430 Spacing issues between text and selection box in website like amazon
- T3431 Content on a webpage doesn’t load in sync with the scroll bar
- T3433 Resizing the window causes page corruption
- T3506 Confirm dialog status updated before selecting the confirm option YES/NO
- T3517 webview Y offset not considered to place, full screen video on youtube webpage
- T3563 GObject Generator link throws 404 error
- T3564 GLib, GIO Reference Manual links are incorrectly swapped
- T3580 Canterbury entry-point launching hides global popups, but only sometimes
- T3588 <abstractions/chaiwala-base> gives privileges that not every app-bundle should have
- T3631 Segmentation fault when disposing test executable of mildenhall
- T3647 The web runtime doesn’t set the related view when opening new windows
- T3729 ribchester: gnome-desktop-testing test times out
- T3730 canterbury: Most of the tests fail
- T3763 Compositor hides the other screens
- T3771 Roller problem in settings application
- T3797 Variable roller is not working
- T3798 In mildenhall, URL history speller implementation is incomplete.
- T3909 MildenhallSelectionPopupItem doesn’t take ownership when set properties
- T3939 libshoreham packaging bugs
- T3940 libmildenhall-0-0 contains files that would conflict with a future libmildenhall-0-1
- T3969 MildenhallSelPopupItem model should be changed to accept only gchar * instead of MildenhallSelPopupItemIconDetail for icons
- T3971 libbredon/seed uninstallable on target as they depend on libraries in :development
- T3972 webview-test should be shipped in libbredon-0-tests instead of libbredon-0-1
- T3973 bredon-0-launcher should be shipped in its own package, not in libbredon-0-1
- T3991 virtual keyboard is not showing for password input field of any webpage
- T3992 Steps like pattern is seen in the background in songs application
- T3996 Avoid unconstrained dbus AppArmor rules in frome
- T4005 Newport test fails on minimal images
- T4009 connman: patch “Use ProtectSystem=true” rejected upstream
- T4010 connman: patch “device: Don’t report EALREADY” not accepted upstream
- T4027 webkit2GTK crash observed flicking on webview from other widget
- T4031 Mildenhall should install themes in the standard xdg data dirs
- T4046 Page rendering is not smooth in sites like www.yahoo.com
- T4048 HTML5 demo video’s appear flipped when played on webkit2 based browser app
- T4050 Render theme buttons are not updating with respect to different zoom levels
- T4052 Rendering issue observed on websites like http://www.moneycontrol.com
- T4089 Crash observed on webruntime framework
- T4110 Crash observed on seed module when we accesing the D-Bus call method
- T4142 introspectable support for GObject property, signal and methods
- T4348 Inital Roller mappings are misaligned on the HMI
- T4383 folks-metacontacts-antilinking: folks-metacontacts-antilinking_sh.service failed
- T4386 apparmor-tracker: AssertionError: False is not true
- T4419 traprain: sadt: error: cannot find debian/tests/control
- T4420 canterbury: core-as-root and full-as-root tests failed
- T4421 ribchester: Job for generated-test-case-ribchester.service canceled
- T5301 libsoup: /usr/lib/libsoup2.4/installed-tests/libsoup/ssl-test test failed
- T5989 frome: 6_frome test failed